Photograph of Walnut Grove Subdivision in Towanda

Subject: Historic buildings, homes and sites; Subdivisions
Date: 1955?

Description: Photograph of Walnut Grove Subdivision taken by Pat Pulokas shows a few homes built by Barton Corporation between 1955 - 1958. Amos Barton moved the headquarters of his business, Barton Corporation from Kansas to Towanda, IL in 1955 where Alexander Manufacturing is today (in 2007). Barton was the contractor who was also building Route 66 during this time. He purchased land along 66 and during the winter months (Dec-Jan-Feb) he had his foreman and crew build homes in what is now Walnut Grove Subdivision. Lots were also sold to others. The photograph only shows four of these homes at the north end along Route 66.

Publisher: Towanda Area Historical Society and Towanda District Library
Rights Management: The images and documents in the Towanda Area Historical Society digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited, without permission.
ID: 1047 bld_1955_1968
Last Update: June 01, 2007